Lilith's Journal: Chapter 1, Entry 9

Dalton's Last Stand, Safety and Revelations

With only precious moments to get ready, all of the children said farewell to their respective families, and I grabbed whatever Misses Smith could stuff in an empty burlap sack. Also swiping a cleaver from the counter I turned toward Dalton.

“Take care Lily,” he whispered as he once again opened up the inn door.

Hot tears streaming down my cheeks, I gave him a big hug as Roran guided us out of the inn. We went left, Dalton went right just as a horde of greenskins finished off a few more townsfolk with their dogslicers. As blood and sinew flew wide, the beasts turned toward us and Dalton gave out a thundering bellow of a war cry before plunging into the middle of them.

His hands glowing red, Dalton locked his gaze with the biggest one. As fire erupted from the middle of the bunch, it consumed them in a column of flame, spreading in all directions. It was so hot, I could feel it on my face. When the smoke cleared, Dalton was the only one left standing.

I think I remember Roran saluting to him as we ran by. Mister Dalton returned the salute before collapsing into the smoking crater. I don’t know if I screamed, but I know Aeryn did. I froze dead in my tracks.

“We have to help him!” I cried out.

“We have to keep moving!” Roran ordered.

I remember my legs felt like granite as Roran scooped up Aeryn, and Evander grabbed me. His vise-like grip was firm yet gentle, and when I got my senses back, I started running alongside him.

I don’t know how long we ran, but it couldn’t have been too far, because we could still see the smoke from Tarenvale as we got to an abandoned camp some miles away.

I don’t really remember much after that. I was in shock. At some point I curled up in a ball with Ma`ud, shivering from the cold. Roran left sometime in the night to get supplies for us. I think Evander was left in charge. We didn’t even get a fire. It was simply too dangerous to light one while the goblins and orcs were looking for us. Why us? I wondered. We didn’t even do anything. Why did they want us dead?
I drifted in and out of a restless sleep, the slightest snap of twigs, or gust of wind an orc or a goblin coming to eat us. Thankfully none came for us that night, but neither did any beneficial sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment